Due November 30, 2012
Now that you've finished reading Candide and are familiar with satire and the techniques used to create it, you now have the chance to be a modern satirist, like Voltaire, using humor to criticize human vice and folly in order to effect change. You have an open opportunity to make fun of society in order to change it!
The world is yours to mock!
Any and all of the taboo subjects are available for your mocking. I challenge you to create a Satirical Comic Book that clearly and effectively mocks some aspect of your world.
Your Satirical Comic Book must include clear and properly executed examples of:
- Situational and/or dramatic irony
- Verbal Irony in the form of sarcasm
- Understatement and/or exaggeration (Litotes and/or Hyperbole)
- Pun or oxymoron
- Humorous metaphor or simile
- Caricature and/or Burlesque
Remember, the point of satire is to call the readers attention to some problem in order to change it; therefore, it should also do the following:
- It should clearly mock something—society in general, school, government, teachers, parents, etc.
- It should be long enough to effectively mock the thing in question.
- It should use original photos, drawings, or other art to demonstrate creativity and originality.
- It can use a program such as Comic Life, ToonDo, Xtranormal, or any other computer program you like. Or you can do an "old school" comic if you prefer (strip or book).
It must be submitted by November 30, 2012 at 4:30pm CST in one of the following manners:
- A link to the work online via email sent to email@example.com (be certain to verify that I have received it by the assigned date and time)
- A thumb-drive/memory stick/DVD/portable data-saving device containing a copy of the project
- A full-color, frame by frame printout of the comic in hard-copy format
- An old-school “funny book”