Students shall demonstrate the ability to interpret and evaluate complex works of literature by:
- describing the elements and structure of literature, the artistic intent, and the historical, cultural, and social background of the selected literature;
- applying specific critical criteria to interpret and analyze the selected literature;
- describing how particular effects are produced by the artist's use of the elements of literature; and
- communicating an informed interpretation using the vocabulary of literature.
- Students must use evidence from the film to support their claims. (No less than 3 pieces of evidence must be supplied.)
- The essay's length should be no less than 600 words and no longer than 900 words typed.
- How is imagery used throughout the film to achieve the themes of the film? Elements you may want to consider are:
- Discussion of the image of the eye. What might it symbolize?
- How is rain used in the film, and what is its significance?
- How is light used throughout the film? What does this achieve?
- Discussion of the environment and architecture.
- How and where do most people live?
- Advertisements, lights, and everyday things.
- Compare where Tyrell lives to where J. F. Sebastian lives.
- In Blade Runner, replicants are suppsoed to be neither free nor equal to man; however, when replicants were created, there were given the ability to reason and a conscience. Are replicants human?
- What rights should they be given?
- Is it just that replicants have killed to save their own lives?
- Should replicants be "retired" simply because they want to exist for longer than 4 years?
- Who is the hero in this story?
- Is Deckard on a hero quest or simply a little person doing his job?
- Is Roy Batty a hero?
- What are the Biblical images and themes in Blade Runner, and how do they relate to the themes of the film?
- Can Tyrell be seen as a man trying to play God? How is he punished? Is this ironic?
- Can Roy and Pris be seen as a futuristic Adam and Eve? Compare their fall from life to the story of Genesis and the Fall from Grace.
- What is the significance of Miss Salome (Zhora) dancing with her snake?
- Can Roy be seen as a Christ figure? Is he paying for the sins of humanity?
YOUR PROJECT IS DUE MAY 22!!!
(This means you.)